Saturday, March 7, 2009

Johnny Thunders & The Heartbreakers w/Richard Hell • Demo's


Here's another "what the hell more can I say" blog post. This is the infamous Heartbreakers demo that was recorded when Richard Hell was still playing bass with them. This is my favorite Thunders recordings. Raw, Rare, and in my ears, the proof that the Heartbreakers are just as much the first punk rock band as The Ramones. I guess no one will ever know who had their first practice to prove which was actually the first punk band, but does it matter? Kind of... the heartbreakers deserve way more recognition than they've ever gotten. Yeah they've gotten a lot on account of it being the Heartbreakers, but I consider this the first PUNK ROCK recording ever made. Stooges? That was still psych. The Ramones were still trying to be a glitter pop band but sucking at playing instruments. And speaking of which, this is the first recording of the infamous "Chinese Rocks" song. Listen to the lyrics. Much much different. It's only here that you can hear the lyrics and composition that proves the fact that it was in fact Richard Hell that completed the song and made it what it is after Dee Dee gave it to them 'cause Joey was still trying to make The Ramones a glitter pop band. You know what, I could go on for days about this demo about how important and great it is but I would just get more annoying than I already am talking about Thunders. I know I know... I'm sort of obsessed. I have a tattoo of him on my forearm and it's only the first! Richard is next... next for a portrait tattoo and for a blog. So I must end this rant.

I've included two different versions that I've aquired. They both have good points about them. One is a darker version that works with some songs but also is sped up on some other ones, the other is a little too trebley which works for some songs but on others sounds double tracked and shit. All in all it's still miles ahead of the versions that ended up on Richard Hell's "Spurts", "R.I.P." and "Time" compilations. I've also included another version of the song "Flight" that was included on the "Down To Kill" 2cd set (disc one). This is the clearest I've heard of all of the recordings. Obviously straight from the reel that Michael Carlluchi has (which he still owes me...).

I'm obsessed I know...

Love Comes in Spurts
I Wanna Be Loved
Blank Generation
Chinese Rocks
Pirate Love
Can't Keep My Eyes On You
Flight
Hurt Me
You Gotta Lose
Going Steady
Love Comes (false Start)
I Wanna Be Loved
Blank Generation
Love Comes In Spurts

And for the record, it's never been bootleged I don't think, and it took me years to get. Years.

Meet me at the airport at quarter to 9,
Baby won't you be on time.
http://sharebee.com/7ca1881d

1 comment: